25. September 2016 21:12
From the last few months I was regularly getting Google/Yahoo notification about someone tried accessing my email account. The good thing is both Google and Yahoo provide an option of 2-step verification. Google though has many other options.
Here I am listing few settings which I have enabled on my Google email account:
- Added cell phone number. This is very important for password recovery as well as extra layer of security.
- Added alternate cell phone number. Just in case I am traveling and not keeping my primary phone.
- Enabled 2-step verification. In case someone traced my password and attempts login, Google will send a verification code on my cell phone. Without this verification code, login is not possible.
- Copied backup codes to a safe location. This is useful if you don't remember your password.
- Added valid recovery email. Again, very important for password recovery.
- Lastly, I changed the password and not accessing GMail from public place. If it is urgent and accessing email cannot be avoided in a public place, I download a small virtual keyboard utility to enter my password. This is just to prevent trojans from sniffing key strokes.
4. January 2015 00:38
From last few days I was trying to recover a lost NTFS partition on my hard drive. On inspecting using several partition repair tools, the partition was visible but without drive letter. I tried changing the drive letter using these tools but all these tools failed to apply the changes. My favorite, Partition Magic, also failed to start because of partition error.
On searching using Google, I came across a tool with the name Partition Guru. This simple tool not only automatically detected partition errors it repaired the errors as well. I also managed to assign new drive letter to the recovered partition.
Great tool and is also free for non-commercial use.
28. December 2014 12:36
Came across an email app with the name Mailwise. Initially it appears similar to Google Inbox but on dissecting further it is quite better. Instead of simply grouping your related conversations, it performs a unique way of decluttering your Inbox.
It omits repetitive information like signatures and headers. This way the mails appear to you as a regular chat like interface.
Some of the features of Mailwise are: